With Valentine's Day is coming up, I have a delicious heart-shaped treat for you today. Yes, I love all Valentine's Day candy, but I also never turn down an excuse to bake with pink and red sprinkles. This recipe is also close to my heart because it's one of the two that always reminds me of my mother-in-law. (In case you were wondering, the other is her orange swirl cake.) I remember when Mike and I were first dating, she introduced me to this delicious combination of chocolate and caramel. Back then, the mix used to come packaged all together, but they (I think it was Betty Crocker?) stopped making them. I hadn't even thought about these in a few years, but after seeing them in a post on Buzzfeed, I knew I had to try making them! They were very easy to make and cutting them into hearts made for the perfect Valentine's Day treat.
- two 4.5 ounce bags of Werther's Original Soft Caramels
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 12 oz chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine caramels and heavy cream in small saucepan on low, stirring occasionally until caramels are melted. Remove sauce from heat.
3. Mix together melted butter, oats, brown sugar, and flour.
4. Grease a square 8x8 pan and press 2/3 of the oat mixture into the bottom and bake for 10 minutes.5. Sprinkles chocolate chips onto the warm crust, followed by caramel sauce. Top with remaining crumbs and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
6. Allow it to cool all the way, cut into hearts using a cookie cutter, and decorate with festive sprinkles.
Here are a few other Valentine's Day dessert suggestions: Heart-Shaped Samoas, Starbucks Copycat Lemon Loaf, Whoopie Pies, and Cookies & Cream Cookies
Linking up for Two Cup Tuesday, Try A New Recipe Tuesday, and Delicious Dish Tuesday!